"Nobody Makes Netter ARROZ con POLLO the the JESUS Maann"
That's right man. Nobody makes better Chicken and Rice than the Jesus. Jesus Qintana, nemesis of Walter Sobchak and The Dude cooks too, and he's jealous of the Dude and his cookbook "GOT ANY KAHLUA," so he's publishing some recipes of his own, starting with the famed Cuban Arroz con Pollo, Cuban Style Chicken and Rice, a staple of Cuban Cusine, and a favorite of Jesus.
ARROZ con POLLO alla JESUS
- 2 to 3 lbs. Chicken pieces (I prefer boneless, skinless, breasts, but always include thighs and/or drumsticks with bones and skin – they add to the flavor)
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1 jar red diced pimientos (reserve a little bit for garnish)
- 1 can peas (reserve about a third for garnish)
- 1 can asparagus (cut up)
- ½ tsp. Salt
- ½ tsp. Pepper
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Bitter Orange (powder or marinade)
- Olive oil
- 3 cups rice (long grain)
- 1 tsp. Goya Seasoning con Azafran
- 3 or 4 threads of saffron – crushed (this is optional)
1) Prepare the chicken broth
2) Coat chicken pieces with bitter orange spice or marinade along with the pressed garlic cloves and marinade for about an hour. (not necessary, but it’s awesome if you have the time)
3) Brown chicken in large frying pan in olive oil. After browning the Chicken, remove and place in a large pot.
4) To make the Sofrito: sauté the onion & pepper in the frying pan (with the bits of garlic and olive oil) until soft, then add tomato sauce, pimientos, peas, asparagus (all with their liquid) salt, pepper, bay leaf, cumin, oregano, wine & broth.
5) Pour in the rice and add the Sazon Goya Azafron Seasoning and Saffron to color and flavor the rice.
6) Pour all of this over the chicken in the pot.
7) Bring to a boil, then lower to a fast simmer.
8) Cook on medium-low heat for about 40 minutes, then check it and stir it. Rice should be soft and liquid absorbed. If there’s still liquid, keep cooking, checking, & stirring.
9) Pour reserved peas and pimientos as a garnish over the finished arroz con pollo.
QUINTANA CHICKEN and RICE
ARROZ con POLLO
CLICK for RECIPES from The DUDE
GOT ANY KAHLUA ?
aka The BIG LEBOWSKI COOKBOOK
Post a Comment